- Division: Residential
- Term: Full-Time
- Location: Ottawa
The Superintendent is important to the successful operation of a multi-residential portfolio. The role is responsible for the physical maintenance and safety of the building and surrounding property and its occupants. The primary functions require the Superintendent to have a service-oriented approach, excellent communication skills, and work flexible hours including on-call requirements and month-end responsibilities.
- Ensure the building is safe, clean, and presentable at all times.
- Ensure a high level of client satisfaction is maintained through regular contact and proactive attention to resident needs
- Conduct business at all times with the highest standards of personal, professional and ethical conduct
- Handle all resident issues, inquiries, feedback, concerns and complaints quickly and professionally, escalate when required
- Meet and interact with residents in a courteous and professional manner
- Performs resident service requests in a prompt and friendly manner.
- Provide service information to residents, as required
- Showing units to perspective tenants.
Administration / Health & Safety:
Understand and abide by company policies, the Residential Tenancies Act, Privacy Act, Health and Safety standards, Workplace Violence and Harassment , AODA including Accessible Customer Service, Municipal Property Standards By-Laws, and any other applicable legislation governing day-to-day operations -Be thoroughly familiar with and adhere to the company’s Health & Safety Policy
- Be familiar with and adhere to the company’s Health & Safety Policy
- Ensure a complete knowledge and understanding of WHMIS, and ensure all contractors and vendors comply with safe handling guidelines; immediately report infractions, hazardous conditions, or damaged equipment to supervisor
- Be thoroughly familiar with our emergency procedures including fire, flood, elevator entrapment, power outage, and mold remediation.
- Administrative duties including use of technology, to document service requests and the resolution thereof.
- Have a thorough knowledge and understanding of all maintenance systems (pumps, emergency generators, boilers, HVAC, chillers, swimming pools, sprinklers, etc.)
- Complete maintenance requests within 24 hours to ensure resident safety and satisfaction
- Complete appliance repairs, routine plumbing repairs, repairs and maintenance requiring carpentry skills, painting, and basic electrical repairs
- Complete general maintenance in common areas including but not limited to the garage and parking lot, rooftop, mechanical rooms, etc.
- Ensure all mechanical and exit doors are secure and properly function at all times
- In the event of an emergency where the Property Manager is unavailable the superintendent will assume all responsibilities for ensuring the proper sub-trade is contacted and complete follow up until the situation is rectified.
- Responsible for the opening and locking of apartment doors for maintenance and service personnel when entry by the resident has been duly authorized.
- Review suites on turnover and complete a scope of work consistent with established policies and procedures.
- Coordinate month-end duties and responsibilities including apartment inspections, scheduling of contractors for turnover
- Monitor building service contract performance to ensure prudent, cost effective practices are constantly observed
- Review and evaluate repairs and maintenance requests to ensure they meet budgetary and operational expectations
- Other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by management
- Minimum High school education or equivalent is required
- Minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience or an apprenticeship or combination thereof
- A passion for providing exceptional customer service delivery
- Good judgement and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to safely use and maintain tools of the job
- Knowledge of mechanical and HVAC systems and experience in related repairs
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook
- Good communication skills (listening, verbal and written)
- Fluent in English. Other languages are an asset
- Knowledge of applicable legislation including Residential Tenancies Act, Privacy Act.
- High school or equivalent
- Required experience:
- Building Superintendent: 2 years