1. General Safety
The Tenant shall not obstruct any route of access to or within the rented premises. In particular, but without limiting the generality, the Tenant shall not:
- Encumber sidewalks, hallways, balconies, fire escapes or fire routes nor shall he/she remove or cover any source of light to any of these areas
- Take bicycles in or out through, or store them in, areas other than those designated by the Landlord
- Hang anything on balcony railings or from balcony ceilings or supports without the written consent of the Landlord
- Throw or drop anything from any balcony or window
2. Fire and Health Risks
The Tenant shall not store or use any noxious or flammable substances, any cooking or heating apparatus which may be a health or fire risk, be in contravention of any law or by-law or result in any increase in the Landlord’s cost of insurance, in particular, but without limiting the generality, the Tenant shall:
- Confine cooking to the kitchen or other areas specified by the Landlord
- Not store any paint, gasoline or propane containers in any enclosed area
- Not use a barbecue on any balcony or within the premises
- Not use or install any cooking or heating apparatus without the written consent of the Landlord
- Confine goods, garbage, papers, sweepings and other refuse in a safe and sanitary manner in the areas designated by the Landlord and ensure that they are available for removal from the premises at the appropriate times and places as designated by the Landlord
3. Smoke Alarms
The Tenant shall replace when necessary, at his/her cost, all batteries used to operate the smoke detectors installed on the premises. The Tenant shall advise the Landlord immediately if such smoke detector(s) cease to function except by reason of battery failure. The Tenant shall indemnify and save the Landlord harmless from all causes of action(s), and any other judicial proceedings commenced against him resulting from the Tenant’s failure to comply with the aforementioned obligations.
4. Unoccupied Premises
The Tenant shall be responsible for having the rented premises inspected regularly if they are unoccupied for more than forty-eight hours.
The Tenant shall:
- Where applicable, keep the gardens and lawns in a neat and tidy condition in the summer months, and the walks and lane ways free from ice and snow in the winter months
- At all times keep the rented premises in a proper state of cleanliness including cleaning, waxing and polishing any hardwood floors and properly caring for any carpet supplied by the Landlord
- Be responsible for closing windows in the event of rain or snow
- Not use spikes, hooks, screws or nails on the walls or woodwork
- Not allow any waste of water in the rented premises nor use water closets and other water apparatus for any purpose other than that for which they were constructed. In particular, but without limiting the generality, no sweepings, garbage, rubbish, rage, ashes, sanitary products, diapers or other substances shall be thrown in them
- Maintain the rented premises at a minimum temperature of 10°C/50°F
6. Waste Disposal
The Tenant shall regularly dispose of household garbage by using closed garbage bags that he/she shall bring to the designated area. No toxic, hazardous waste, unused medication and needles will be thrown in the garbage, they must be disposed though the proper regional process. Closed bags must be thrown down the chute and not left in the garbage room. Recycling bins are for the disposal of clean cans or plastics or paper products only as indicated on the bins.
The Tenant shall not use any appliance in addition to those supplied by the Landlord including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, any dishwashers, air conditioners, washing machines, clothes dryers, and refuse compactors without first obtaining the written consent of the Landlord and paying to the Landlord the required charge for the use thereof. The tenant shall properly care for all appliances supplied by the Landlord and notify the Landlord in writing if such appliances require repair; further, any damage to such appliances shall be paid for by the Tenant.
8. Request for Air Conditioning Installation
If the Tenant desires to install an air conditioning unit he/she must obtain written consent of the Landlord:
- Proof of liability insurance for having an A/C unit installed
- Only Plexiglas is permitted to fill in the windows
If electricity is included in the rent the Tenant shall pay the Landlord a seasonal fee of $150.00 for the excess usage of operating the A/C unit in three monthly instalments.
9. Satellite Dish Installation
Written consent of the Landlord must be obtained to install satellite dishes or other antennae. No installation will be permitted on the roof or where drilling holes or other where damage to the siding, concrete or exterior of the property will result.
The Tenant shall not alter or add to the locking system on any door giving direct entry to the rented premises without the written permission of the Landlord. The Tenant hereby consents to any change of locks in the building including that of the door giving direct entry in the rented premises, provided the Landlord gives the Tenant replacement keys.
In the event the Tenant or his guest(s) locks himself out of the rented premises, the Landlord shall not be obligated to unlock the rented premises and the Tenant shall be responsible for all costs of re-entry including, but not necessarily limited to, locksmith charges, charges for damages howsoever caused, and any service charge payable to the Landlord if the Landlord agrees to unlock the premises.
11. Request for Additional Outlets
If the Tenant desires additional telephone or TV outlets, the Landlord will direct installers as to where and how the wires are to be introduced. Without such direction, no boring or cutting for wires will be permitted. If the Tenant desires to install, add to, or alter gas or electrical outlets, he/she must obtain the written consent of the Landlord.
12. Moving Furniture
The Tenant shall move household furniture and effects into or out of the rented premises only at such times and in such manner as approved by the Landlord.
The Tenant shall not damage any part of the building or rented premises by moving furniture or other articles in or out and the Tenant agrees to indemnify the Landlord for any expenses incurred in repairing any damage so caused.
13. Use of Common Facilities
Where laundry, recreational and other facilities are provided, the Tenant shall have the right to use such facilities as long as he/she abides by the rules and regulations for their operation.
The Tenant shall:
- Park only passenger vehicles in spaces allotted to him/her and shall not use any other parking space without the prior written consent of the Landlord
- Furnish such information as may be required to identify each vehicle and affix to each vehicle such marker as may be required by the Landlord
- Keep the vehicle which he/she parks in his/her parking space in a good mechanical state of repair and have it washed regularly and have valid licensing and insurance for such vehicle
- Not do or permit to be done repairs or cleaning of any kind to any vehicle in any parking or adjacent area
- Use electrical outlets where they are provided for block heating units only
- Permit guests to park in designated visitor parking area and obeyed by the rules and regulation posted
15. Signs and Nameplates
The Tenant shall not inscribe, paint or affix on any part of the rented premises any sign, advertisement or notice without the written consent of the Landlord.
The Tenant shall not do anything that will annoy, disturb or interfere in any way with any other Tenant, neighbour or those having business with them. In particular, but without limiting the generality, no noise caused by any instrument or other device, which in the opinion of the Landlord may be calculated to disturb the comfort of any other Tenant, shall be permitted in the rented premises, nor shall any noise whatsoever be repeated or persisted in following the Landlord’s required request that it discontinue.
The Tenant shall not keep any animal, bird, reptile or pet within or upon, in or about the rented premises without the written consent of the Landlord. The Landlord reserves the right to refuse permission or request that the tenant remove the animal from the property that the Landlord views to be dangerous or of intimidating breed.
The Tenant hereby accepts liability for any and all claims and actions initiated by the Landlord, another tenant, a future tenant or any other person for any injury to any person or damage to any property in or about the rental premises as a result of the Tenant or his guests bringing any animal, bird, reptile or pet into the rental premises or in or about the building where the rented premises are situated.
18. Pest Control
The Tenant shall keep the rented premises free from vermin and in so doing shall procure and pay for any professional pest control service which may be necessary from time to time and a failure by the Tenant to comply with this provision shall be deemed to constitute a consent that the Landlord may enter the premises for the purpose of exterminating any such vermin and any costs thereof shall be payable to the Landlord by the Tenant. The Tenant further consents to entry of the Landlord or anyone designated by the Landlord for the purpose of treating the rented premises for pest control purposes.
Notwithstanding the above, the tenant shall notify the Landlord immediately should the Tenant discover any vermin in the premises. The Landlord shall have the right to take the necessary steps to eliminate the vermin. The Tenant shall, upon receiving 24 hours’ written notice, remove all goods from specified areas to facilitate the extermination process.
19. Contagious Diseases
In the event of a contagious or infectious disease developing, the Tenant shall comply with any laws, by-laws or regulations relating to any such disease.
20. Noxious Substances
The Tenant shall not bring or permit the bringing or storage of any contaminants or noxious, dangerous or toxic substances into or upon the rented premises or any part of the residential complex or lands upon which the residential complex is situated. The Tenant shall be liable too indemnify the Landlord for any damages howsoever caused and any other liability which may accrue at law to the Landlord as a consequence of the Tenant’s breach of the term. If a questions arises relating to a contaminant or noxious, dangerous or toxic substances, such question will be determined having regard to Ontario or federal law or by a person whom the Landlord believes to be an expert qualified to determine the question.
The Tenant shall, during the entire period of this tenancy and any renewal thereof, at his sole cost and expense, obtain and keep in force and effect, fire and property damage and public liability insurance in an amount equal to that which the Landlord, acting reasonably, considers adequate. The Tenant agrees to provide to the Landlord, upon demand at any time, proof that all such insurance is in effect and to notify the Landlord in writing if such insurance is cancelled or otherwise terminated.
The Tenant expressly agrees to indemnify the Landlord and save it harmless from and against any and all claims, actions, damages, liability and expenses in connection with loss of life, personal injury and/or damage to property arising from any occurrence in the rented premises, the use thereof by the Tenant, or occasioned wholly or in part by any act or omission of the Tenant, or by anyone permitted to be in the rented premises or the building by the Tenant.